community

Friday, August 8, 2008

Quite awhile ago, I read something by Rick Warren concerning a radical commitment. I can’t find the exact words or text anywhere. On January 2, 2008, I created my own. I taped to my desk so that I don’t forget my commitment.

"I will open a ‘can’ of fabulous and pour it all over everything this year.
Today I am stepping across the line. I'm tired of waffling, and I'm finished with wavering. I've made my choice; the verdict is in; and my decision is irrevocable. There's no turning back!

I refuse to waste any more time or energy on shallow living, petty thinking, trivial talking, thoughtless doing, useless regretting, hurtful resenting, or faithless worrying. It is my honor to protect and defend truth.

I will live the rest of my life letting my contagious optimism, strength, and determination conquer doom and gloom. I will choose love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. No occasion justifies hatred. I refuse to be cynical (the tool of a lazy thinker). I refuse to see people as anything less than human beings. I will go without a dollar rather than take a dishonest one. I will keep my word, pay my debts, and make it so my spouse and child will never question my love. I will reflect a sense of gratitude for my life and those involved by showing humility, forgiveness, and charity.

I will value honor over wealth, “we” over “me,” character over comfort, service over status, and people over possessions, position, and pleasures. I know what matters most, and I'll give it all I've got. I'll do the best I can with what I have for today.

I won't be captivated by culture, manipulated by critics, motivated by praise, frustrated by problems, debilitated by temptation, or intimidated by anyone. I'll keep running my race with my eyes on the goal, not the sidelines or those running by me.

When times get tough, and I get tired, I won't back up, back off, back down, back out, or backslide. I'll just keep moving forward. I'm purpose-driven and mission-focused, so I cannot be bought, I will not be compromised, and I shall not quit until I finish the race.

Whatever the cost, I'm ready. Anytime. Anywhere. Anyway. Whatever it takes!
On that final day I want to hear it be said, "Well done!"

Taken in part from Rick Warren author of “The Purpose Driven Life”

1 Comments:

  • At August 14, 2008 at 9:11 AM , Anonymous Will said...

    Your blog reminded me of this part of a Grits song:

    Grits Lyrics

    I feel like I'm in the last leg of the race
    I can't make mistakes, I can't look behind, I can't lose my place,
    I've come too far to slack or turn back,
    I know too much to stop where I'm at,
    I'm believin' man,
    With the little bit of faith that I got and I'm cleavin' till that expands,
    My kids need me to break through, so the curse get broke,
    and the same thing, they don't have to go through
    so I press and I stretch to the end of the race,
    and no matter what I face, I increase the pace,
    with my head to the sky,
    I'm gonna plead my case to the Lord on high 'til something breaks

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home